The Annual Fund will complete a major project for the School District by pursuing community partnerships, grants and targeted fundraising.
- 2014–2015 Project: The Bob King Track & Football Field Renovation at Starbuck Stadium is complete
- 2016-2017; 2017-1018 Project: Helping fund major content area curriculum priorities identified by the School District’s Curriculum Development Plan
** MEF will continue to fund textbooks, curricular materials and equipment as much as possible through its Grant Awards Program to guarantee those needed for a given year can be in place at the beginning of that school year.
Goals of District Plan
- Review curriculum and materials annually to ensure each classroom teacher has quality and current resources aligned with Colorado Academic Standards.
- Restore courses, positions and programs lost to budget rescissions which successfully go through the reinstatement and adoption process.
- Superintendent Selle, “Research is very clear that he most significant influence on student learning is the classroom teacher. The next most influential factor is an aligned and viable curriculum.”
The needs are extraordinary. For the last few years, prior to FY 2016, the District has been ‘getting by’ due to mandatory austerity budgets. This is turn has resulted in minimal focus on curriculum development. Compounding poor school funding has been the state’s Negative Factor which will cost Meeker $722,583 in the 2017-2018 school year.
What has Been/is prioritized
· EveryDay Math Purchased for Kindergarten – 6th Grades
MEF helped raise funds for the purchase of a 5 year subscription of a K-6 EveryDay Math curriculum. This program meshes well with the current 7th and 8th grade Math program which enhances student transition from elementary (5th grade) to middle school (6th grade) and completes a vertically aligned Mathematics curriculum from K through 8th grades.
· Other Priorities
The district has purchased the Language Arts curriculum based on the research done by the district wide literacy committee.
Other content areas are currently in the review process and will soon be identified
Needs are Documented
A current review of existing materials is strong testimony that content areas need an updated curriculum as determined by the Curriculum Development Plan which must be supported by updated texts and resources. The review found:
- K-12 Mathematics(Current materials between 2 and 16 years old, majority older that 8 years.)
- K-12 English/Language Arts (Current materials between 2 and 17 years old, majority updated in 2007)
- K-12 Social Studies (Current materials between 3 and 17 years old, majority older that 11 years)
- K-12 Science (Current materials between 6 and 14 years old, majority older than 7 years.
- Career and Technical Education (Current materials between 4 – 16 years old, no text or no information on Agricultural Education)
- Other Electives/Specials (Current materials between 5 – 32 years old, HS choir is 32 years old)
See the Grant Award Program page which itemizes the textbooks/curricular materials, equipment and classroom needs purchased in 2015-2016, 2016-2017 school years and the identified priorities for 2017-2018.
The School District deals with poor funding
The School District has committed to judiciously using some of its General Fund reserves to relieve the coming school year’s annual budget and meet certain vital needs. Deficit spending is not ideal, but student needs are extreme and are the priority. Using reserves is a balancing act for they must also ensure that the District can cash flow itself during the year and cover emergency expenses. Simple math points out, the balance of today’s reserves would only last a few years if they have to continually be used for operations.
How You can help:
- Donate Online (Credit /Debit card or PayPal): Use ‘Online Payment Tab’ & go to drop down menus
- Pay by Check and send to Meeker Education Foundation, PO Box 255, Meeker, CO 81641
- Restricted donations: Please use ‘Contact’ tab with your message. We will respond and you can either pay online or by check.
MEF’s First Project – 2014 – 2016
The Renovation of the Track/Football Field
The completed track was named for Bob King – Superintendent of schools for 27 years and under whose tenure the original synthetic track was built in 1984-85. It is now the Bob King Track at Starbuck Stadium.
It should be noted that no school district funds were used and 92% of the monies which completed the project were dollars which could not go into the academic classroom (ERBM contribution of $400,000 and a Great Outdoors Colorado grant for $350,000). The extensive disrepair of the track made student safety the most compelling reason for the endeavor. To protect them while exercising long overdue stewardship of Starbuck Stadium, with no impact to the taxpayer has been a win-win.
A middle school meet was held in April,2017, in which over 600 7th and 8th grade athletes participated from a large number of school districts. The first high school meet is scheduled for the spring of 2018. Out of town guests support our local businesses; the community will benefit from expanded ERBM programs; and our high school and middle school track & field programs have been rescued. Community members who use the track for personal exercise and multiple governmental agencies who use it for trainings, are now able to use a safe and excellent facility.
Hellas Construction, Inc. ( http://www.hellasconstruction.com/.) completed the project before the 2016 Football Season. The firm installed its own synthetic running surface on the track. It specializes in manufacturing sport surfaces and has put in many thousands of fields, tracks and courts across the country.
Scope of the Project:
- Replace old track with a new 8 lane asphalt and synthetic track with inside and outside curbing
- Two 100 meter runways with pits on each end for long jump, triple jump with curbing
- New high jump pad
- Pole vaulting once again is in place
- A non-rebounding permanent, aluminum discus cage which meets NFHS/NCAA specifications
- New trench drainage system for the football field and track
- Football Field was re-graded/re-crowned/re-sodded.
- A new irrigation system will be installed for the field
- New NFHS code compliant 6 ft, offset goal posts
- Shore up and support visitor grandstand support columns and replace the front apron surface to be ADA compliant
- New 4′ chain link perimeter fence
- New Asphalt sidewalk from the stadium entrance to the visitor stands
- A Donor Wall with a lighted flag pole will be constructed to honor Paul Starbuck and Bob King, those for whom the stadium and track are named respectively; and to thank the project donors. (The Donor Wall funds are in place)
Bricks For the Wall can still be purchased for $100 & inscribed to your specifications.
All Foundation Donors and Sponsors will be honored on this website and in Foundation news releases. Accumulated donations will move up in category as the sum increases over time. Sponsors may have their logo displayed with their name if they so choose.
Meeker Education Foundation Sponsorships:
- Benefactor – accumulated donations of $50,000 or more
- Platinum Sponsor – accumulated donations of $25,000 to $49,999
- Diamond Sponsor – accumulated donations of $10,000 to $24,999
- Gold Sponsor – accumulated donations of $5,000 to $9,999
- Silver Sponsor – accumulated donations of $2,500 to $4,999
- Bronze Sponsor – accumulated donations of $1,000 to $2,499
- Valued Friend of M.E.F. – Donations up to $999
- “A Brick For the Wall” at $100@